After years of infertility and IVF, we've finally seen light from the other side. I knew it could happen, but certainly didn't think it would be us ... our new life with twins. Gulp.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Closure

Breaking up is hard to do.

Sometimes it's an angry occasion - perhaps you've been cheated on, or maybe betrayed in some unforgivable way. You hurl dishware, or maybe a wedding ring. You yell. You scream. You're mean to each other in the way we shouldn't treat other human beings.

Other times it's sad and devastating. Maybe you've been taken off guard, dumped without warning. Consolation comes in the form of good friends, copious bottles of wine, and many, many pints of Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk.

Sometimes it just happens. It's sad, but it's okay for everyone involved. Perhaps a mutual interest or friend that initially drew you together no longer exists. Maybe one of you has accepted a job that's consuming all his time and focus. You treasure the time you spent together, but recognize that it's time to go your separate ways. You'll bump into each other at cocktail parties, and hear news of each other from friends, and you'll certainly Google each other (secretly, of course) to see what's going on in life. It's the happiest of sad endings, but the photo album that you filled with memories of the two of you together still remains on your shelf, and is browsed through frequently.

I had a bit of an epiphany today. The kids were up, dressed, fed, and playing happily in the kitchen. I, on the other hand, was still in my pajamas, still nappy and unkempt. I dreaded knowing that, since J is out of town, I had to take the kids up to my bedroom with me and try to keep them out of the toilet water and somewhat entertained while I attempted to dress and make myself up for the day.

And then I realized what I could do. We marched down to their bedroom, picked out a few special toys, made sure the door to the attached bath was closed, and then I slowly and quietly exited the room and shut the door. I was able to have 10 minutes to myself, and they were fine. Yes, their room was a wreck when I came back, but all was well. They were happy, entertained, and I actually looked and felt pretty good.

They're growing up. They have opinions, MyGirl says "No!" with frequency, and MyBoy is turning into a devastatingly charming little boy. My days and nights focus so much on them, and not on so many of the other sad and scary thoughts that used to fill my mind. Life is good. We are so happy.

I constantly compose posts in my head, yet they never make it to page or screen. This was my journal of want, of waiting, and finally of success. I think it's time for us to move on.

I have some thoughts about another blog, and if you want to know I'll be happy to share with you when the time comes. In some freaky way, I'm addicted to your lives and stories, so if you're on my blogroll, I'll be checking in on you just like I used to.

I wish you all heath and happiness, peace and resolution, and an end to your waiting, whatever it may be for.

6 comments:

Eva said...

Oh wah. When I saw the title I knew it was coming but yet I was still in denial. I'm sad many of the bloggers I've been reading since twin pregnancy are all shutting down. I'm trying to decide what I'll do moving forward, because I spend an awful lot of time posting, and sometimes it interferes with other things in life. But I'm not ready to stop.

I wish you and your kiddos all the best. I hope you check in now and then. And if you do start up something else, please do let me know.

Suz said...

It's always a hard transition to make - from infertility blog to something else. I've thought about ending mine more than once. Please let me know when you open up shop again.

GLouise said...

Waaaaaah! I think you were the first infertility blogger I found, so you'll always be special! ;-) I hope you don't go too far!

MsPrufrock said...

Oh, I do hate these times. Bloggers always promise that they will keep commenting, but they rarely do. I hope you mean it missy!

Add me to the list who would be interested in hearing from you if you decide you do have more to say.

Sunny said...

Shut up! I am not impressed! Please don't forget about me!

OvaGirl said...

Oh dear, I get to blog so rarely now, let alone check what others are up to. THis is a very belated farewell but I wish you all the best. I hope you have had a wonderful holiday season and that 2008 is a brilliant year for you and your family laura. xx